Friday, May 2, 2008

Day Eight Mid Afternoon May 2

Hello for the second time today.

Over the past 3 hours, I have tried to find a few minutes to write. Actually we've had a quiet day compared to other days before now.

Update on the infection. I don't want to say it's better because I really don't know, but the drainage on that side has slowed down and his fever only rose to 99.1 where as yesterday it went to 101.5. So keep praying for that and the other specific thing that he would get rest tonight.

He seems to be relaxing a little better today.

Yesterday he did get 1/2 of the staples out. Every other one. The incision looks good so far.

The biggest news is... at this moment he is not connected to anything. He is free. We took a picture of him without pushing the pole, but I don't have my cords here to download and share it with you. From here on out, only tube feeding at night from 6 pm to 10 am. The IV is capped off, but still in his arm. He is getting the antibiotic once a day, so they will connect him for that. A little bit ago he sat on the opposite side of the bed and said, "I'm getting up this way cause I can." Wow! That's my Brock. Feisty and adventurous.

The discharge nurse suggested I go to Cancer Services because PHP will not pay for Brock's food for the tube feed that he will do at home also from 6 pm to 10 am. Cancer Services has it at cost. It is pretty frustrating, they will pay for so many medications that people really don't need, but this food will literally keep him alive. Oh well, this is the first thing they have refused to pay for. If anyone knows of a person that has been diagnosed with cancer, please sign up there for help. They had us sign up yesterday. It's an amazing place. You can use just about anything free of charge, just bring it back when you are finished, like crutches, all kids of equipment. Bandages, bed pads, you name it. They help with transportation if you need it, support groups, even massage therapy.

I hope you all are happy just reading the blog and not actually talking to us. Brock really isn't up to it yet and I'm too tired at night to make any calls.

We've had a really rainy day here although it's warm, over 70.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I know our weekend will be wonderful as every day is, now that this surgery is behind us. One thing for sure, I finally realize what is meant by "in sickness and in health". You wish you could take the pain away, you wish you could share the pain. The joy of seeing small changes for the better just makes your heart sing!

Until next time....

Our God is an AWESOME God!

With love from Chris

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for keeping this blog. I apreciate knowing what's going on even though I cannot be at the hospital. Colin and I continue to keep you both in our prayers.

Love,
Rachel