Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chapter 5 Wed. April 2 thru Tues. April 8

On my last blog I did omit one important detail. That is the results of the biopsy. We didn't hear anything when we left the hospital after the ERCP procedure on Wed. April 2. We also did not hear anything on Thurs. until we badgered the nurse enough to tell us. The first phone call to her was rather vague. "I haven't seen the report", the next phone call was "I sent the report on to the other doctors". I'm not even sure at this point if we called again or she just broke down and told us the tumor was cancer. No further details.

This was the first time Brock felt something come over him. He felt God's presence and blessing. The song "Our God is an Awesome God " popped in his head and a peace that he never felt before in his life washed over him. Whatever God has in store is fine with him and he knows God is with him and in control.

On Sunday evening April 6, we had just gotten in bed when one of the men in his Monday morning discipleship group called. Brock had been sending emails to keep them informed. This man is a Pathologist at Parkview. Brock gave him a run down of where things stand and he asked if he could see what he could do to keep us in Fort Wayne for the endoscopic ultra sound. Sure enough on Monday we received a call the EUS doctor, here in Fort Wayne could fit us in on April 16. We were so excited to have the test here. By the time Brock got home from work, they called again and moved it up to the next day, Tuesday April 8.

Now we are ecstatic. Waiting and not knowing things have been the hardest for us.
It's amazing the people that God brings into your life. You never know who it might be or when it might happen, but God's hand sure became evident to us.

Even though we were excited to get this test, we were still apprehensive as to the outcome. We knew this would tell the tale if the cancer was confined to the tumor, or had spread to the pancreas, duodenum, and/or more.

My son-in-law and father were at the hospital with me waiting this time. I sure didn't want to be alone. I knew my son-in-law could interpret for me, from medical jargon to English. :)

We were blessed that Dr. Kim from discipleship was also there. He would be the one looking at the tissue in case more biopsy was done.

When the doctor came out, I didn't need an interpreter because the smile on his face, and his words, "Good News!" were all I needed. It's the first time I broke down crying, crying for joy! He said it is ampullary cancer with one lymph node involved that looked easy to get to. He did not see any pancreas involvement. So there we stood, the EUS doctor, the anesthesiologist, the pathologist, my family and me, grinning from ear to ear.

I know it seems weird that it would be good news to us that a simple gall stone, turned out to a very rare ampullary cancer.

We were on the phone all evening, letting everyone know that the tumor is operable and we are ready for the next step.

Which is.....an appointment the very next day with the only doctor in Fort Wayne that does surgery on this type of cancer.

We go to sleep that night singing...
Our God is an AWESOME God!

I will try to finish this leg of our journey tomorrow. A few more ups and downs before we have time to take a breath and wait for surgery.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Sunday. God Bless you all!
Chris

No comments: