Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chapter 4 Sat. March 29 thru Wed. April 2

When I last left you, we had gotten the news that we were facing a stone in the bile duct and it should be quite easy to push it on through. So that Friday night, we breathed a sigh of relief and had a pretty normal weekend.
On Saturday we moved my Dad and stepmom, Betty, age 86 and 85 to an apartment at St. Anne's. Turned out, there were 10 of us helping that day, my siblings, nieces and nephews and even a great niece and great nephew. It was quite a day, as they hadn't really gotten packed because Betty has head some health issues the last 2 years. It was a good time to catch everyone up on Brock's saga over the past week.
My Dad and Betty moved back to Fort Wayne after 28 years of marriage, a good life traveling and living different places, most recently in Florida. One month after returning, Betty was diagnosed with colon cancer, she beat that only to have heart failure maybe 6 months later. She did very well until another cancer, lymphoma, popped up a few months ago. This time she went through 3 rounds of chemo. She bounced back each time. As it got closer to moving, Betty seemed to be failing again. After moving on Sat. March 29, Betty ended up in the hospital on Tues, evening and died on Sunday April 6.
On Monday March 31 we had a visit with the surgeon to talk about and set up the gallbladder removal surgery. We liked this doctor immediately, too, although it turned out that this was the only time we met him. The surgery was set up for Thursday, the day after the ERCP.
On Wednesday April 2 we were excited to get to the hospital and get this thing over with. It was Spring break and we were the only patient in the endoscopy area. All the nurses and techs were upbeat and happy. I even went to the operating room with Brock and stayed until the doctor began the procedure. I was alone in the waiting room. I knew I had 2 hours to wait, but was nervous enough that I couldn't read or look at the TV.
They came to get me after only 50 minutes and I thought, "Boy, that was fast!" I looked at all the nurses, etc. and no one was smiling now. It seemed odd. Brock's only comment through his fog was, "Did you get the stone? I want to make a necklace out of it." No one laughed. I looked at the nurse and said, "Did he get the stone?" and she said the doctor will be out soon. I thought "oh, oh, here it comes". And did it ever. He told us it was not a stone, it was a tumor and he did biopsy's of it and sent them to the lab. He even gave us color pictures of it.
He said the next step would be an EUS, endoscopic ultra sound, but the problem was, only one doctor in Fort Wayne does this procedure and did not have an opening until April 22 and he didn't think it was wise to wait that long, so they had contacted IU Medical Center in Indy and they would be calling us with an appointment. They called in the car on the way home. The EUS was set up for Friday April 11 in Indy. In the meantime, the gallbladder surgery was cancelled.
OK, are you confused yet?
Just wait, the confusion and appointments get crazier.
Bare with me, I promise I will make it to present day eventually. :)
Remember....
Our God is an AWESOME God!
Thank you all for your faithfullness.
Chris

No comments: